Here are resources that will be useful background for developing iSWOOP programs. They are grouped by central ideas.
- Stuart Firestein_excerpts_jan 2014
See also, in the packet, Science Messages Packet_Kick-Off_FINAL_May11
- National Academy of Sciences: Science Literacy
- Assessing Curiosity–see weible_zimmerman_science_curiosity
- What Leads to Better Visitor Outcomes in Live Interpretation?
- Engaging Latino Families Migratory_Bird_Latino_USFWSReport2012
A library of frog calls
Please credit Dr. Robert (Bob) Brodman
Not only can wood frogs survive freezing temperatures, but they benefit from cold weather. Check out this video on wood frogs (http://www.biographic.com/posts/sto/invisible-nature-return-of-the-wood-frog)
Annotated _INDU-iSWOOP-VisualLibrary_June2017-TEMPLATE1-mm_annotated_LAmm (keynote) & _INDU-iSWOOP-VisualLibrary_Julu2017-TEMPLATE1-mm_annotated_LAmm (pdf) of the visual library (June 2016 version).
- LAllen_Papers on stress and reproduction among Brazilian free-tail bats
- Hristov_etal_2010_JMamm_mmcomments Hristov2008Integrative and Comparative Biology
- Bat Research at Congaree National Park https://www.nps.gov/rlc/ogbfrec/bat-research.htm
- Saving Bats One Cell Phone at a Time http://www.interpnet.com/nai/docs/Publications/Legacy-v24n5-SeptOct13.pdf Legacy-v24n5-SeptOct13(1)
- Beyond Human Senses: Beyond Human Imagination http://www.interpnet.com/nai/docs/Publications/Legacy-v24n5-SeptOct13.pdfLegacy-v24n5-SeptOct13(1)
Acadia’s iSWOOP-developed Visual Library Annotations_iSWOOP_Visual_Library_v5mm
How fast can trees migrate?
Jacquelyn’s recommendations for reading on paleoecology:
- After the Ice Age
- Forests in Time
- Twilight of the Mammoth
- How to Clone a Wooly Mammoth
- Ice Ages and Solving the Mystery
- Once and Future Giants
- Changing Nature of the Maine Woods
On using charcoal to understand the past Patterson_charcoal_fire_1987
On the Patterson_Fire_Regimes_Coastal_Maine_Forests_of_Acadia_-_1983 (since settlement mainly)
Jacobson and Norton articles and ppt presentations
- Jacobson presentation 24may2017-COMBINED
- On Spruce Schauffler & Jacobson 2002
- Sargent Mountain Pond JPL_Norton et al on phosphorus
- Phosphorous Dynamics Wilson_JOPL_2010_Norton
Geology of Mt Desert Island, presentation from Duane Braun
- Use this ConversationGuideFormattedDraft3
to get conversations started among resource managers and interpreters about high priority science content to convey to visitors.